Vote for 2010-2011 LD Topics

4 replies [Last post]

Voting is going on to determine next season's NFL Lincoln-Douglas Debate Topics.  All ballots must be filled out and postmarked/faxed/delivered by Chapter Advisers before September 10th, 2010.

Fax Number: 920-748-9478

GO HERE TO DOWNLOAD A BALLOT

Topics:

A.    Resolved:  When forced to choose, a just government ought to prioritize universal human rights over its national interest.
B.    Resolved:  The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of public health, not of criminal justice.
C.    Resolved:  In political campaigns within the United States, corporations ought to be afforded the same First Amendment    free speech protections as individuals.
D.    Resolved:  The United States is justified in using private military firms abroad to pursue its military objectives.
E.    Resolved:  On balance, Internet neutrality is desirable.
F.    Resolved:  Progressive income taxes are just.
G.    Resolved:  Justice requires the recognition of animal rights.
H.    Resolved:  In the United States, juveniles charged with violent felonies ought to be treated as adults in the criminal justice system.
I.    Resolved:  The constitutions of democratic governments ought to include procedures for secession.
J.    Resolved: Secular ethics ought to be prioritized over religious ethics in the legislative process.

What do you want to debate?

I will preface by acknowledging that I am not in Debate, so my opinion is not as relevant as someone in LD.  However, I like these topics!  At least, these would make for some good discussions IMO.

Anony's picture
Anony

i agree.  there are some very interesting topics here.  i really like the idea of the animal rights topic.  i just read Eating Animals and with all the new information coming out about factory farms and animal welfare (or lack of in many circumstances) this issue could be HUGE soon.  i also wonder if some on the con side are going to support animal welfare instead of animal rights (there is a difference), or if the con are going to "prove" animals are lower than humans thus meant to be food/clothing/etc...

@finalgirl101, like you i am not in debate, but these topics would be fun to discuss!

Anony's picture
Anony

A.    Broad and interesting. I like it.
B.    Yuck. Good topic, bad wording.
C.    Haha wow this will be fun.
D.    Look out for disads, CPs, and other policy args on this one.
E.    "On balance, [insert current events topic]." Right... this is a PF topic, not an LD topic. Let them have it.
F.     Might be interesting, but debating this will be a bit of a pain.
G.    Oh wow, theory and semantics. Humans are animals too,
H.    What? Where's the philosophy here? This will just turn into people reading psychology cards back and forth.
I.     Easily the best one on the list.
J.     Ugh, religion topics; this will just be luck of the draw as far as judging.

Anony's picture
Anony

a. bad
b. mcweaksauce
c. u mad
d. lolumaddd